Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Modifications > Product Reviews

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex
Default Megan Racing Exhaust Header

I recently picked up a Megan Racing header for my Integra, so I thought I'd write up a review.

Just for reference, my car is a 97 Integra LS coupe.

Price: I paid $130 for the header on Ebay, and about $35 for shipping. Ebay is definitely the way to go here; you can order it from Megan's site (www.meganracing.com), but it'll cost you about $30 more.

Initial Reaction: Upon receiving the header, I was fairly impressed. It's constructed of mandrel-bent T-304 stainless steel, and the welding appears to be pretty decent. The header is a two-piece design, and it includes three gaskets and the screws to attach the two pieces together.

Installation: I had never installed a header before, so the installation ended up taking me about six hours. Keep in mind that I was working with hand tools with the car up on jack stands, so that probably contributed to the lengthy install time. Having done it once, I'm fairly confident that I could do it again in less than two hours. If you have access to shop tools and a lift, it could probably be done in less than an hour.

*Special Installation Notes*

If you're going to be installing this at home with the car on jack stands like I did, I'd recommend that you purchase a can of penetrating fluid (WD-40, etc.) and use it liberally. Soak down all the bolts (especially the ones connecting the header to the catalytic converter) an hour or so before you begin. If your vehicle has an oxygen sensor placed somewhere in the exhaust manifold you should spray down the sensor's threads with penetrator as well. This is especially important if you live in an area where it snows and they salt the roads; a lot of the bolts will probably be rusted in place.

Also, one of the gaskets that was included with the header was not the proper part. Megan includes a flat gasket to go between the header and the cat converter, but my car requires a thicker, rounded, "donut-type" gasket, and I ended up having to purchase one. I would recommend checking this out and making sure you have the right gaskets before you begin the installation.

Post-installation Reaction: I was pleasantly surprised with this product. The header adds a throaty sound to the vehicle without being overly loud or obnoxious. I haven't done any actual dyno-testing, but it seems like the car has gained some horsepower, especially in the higher RPMs.

As far as looks and fit go, the header looks just as nice as some of the much more expensive name-brands, and it fit together and bolted up to the motor and exhaust pipe very nicely.

Overall Impression: I'm very happy with this product. I'm sure that a brand-name header like Greddy or Apex'i would probably add more horsepower, but for a daily-driver car like mine, the Megan header is a great piece.

Ratings:

Appearance: 9/10
Quality: 9/10
Performance: 7/10
Overall: 8/10

Last edited by 94accordex; 04-01-2007 at 07:19 PM.
94accordex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

nice work on the install! Megan racing seems to make relatively nice parts for a great price.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
94accordex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoweb View Post
nice work on the install! Megan racing seems to make relatively nice parts for a great price.
Thanks! Yeah, Megan used to be just another one of the cheapo Ebay companies, but in recent years their quality has improved quite a bit, but their prices are still relatively low. From everything I've heard, their headers are about on par with DC quality-wise, despite being half the price. For a mildy-modified daily driver, I think Megan parts are a great buy.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

Good to hear that everything went well with the install. I am usually apprehensive about buying off brand stuff from ebay, but I am impressed with how well the header fit. BTW it also looks pretty hot!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
94accordex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHonda24 View Post
Good to hear that everything went well with the install. I am usually apprehensive about buying off brand stuff from ebay, but I am impressed with how well the header fit. BTW it also looks pretty hot!
Thanks man! Yeah I wouldn't trust most of the cheap Ebay crap (like APC, OBX, Tsudo, etc.) but I did my homework on the Megan stuff and from what everyone's told me their quality is actually very good for the price.

And yeah, six hours for a header is kind of ridiculous, but a lot of the bolts were extremely rusted. I ended up breaking a few and also having to buy that gasket, so that probably contributed to the long install time. If I had had the gasket and new bolts to began with, it probably would have taken less than two hours.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
Ricardo Alvarado
Noob

Ricardo Alvarado is on a distinguished road

This is really a great support for the Honda users.
Ricardo Alvarado is offline   Reply With Quote