Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Cruise Nights

Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #41
mfcivic101
Regular User

mfcivic101 is on a distinguished road

congrats on graduating! i'm hoping to graduate in 3-4 more years.

degree in engineering? why don't all you gearheads get together and open up the first HSO tuning shop?
mfcivic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #42
hondadude141
Decaldude!!

hondadude141 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to hondadude141 Send a message via Yahoo to hondadude141

that would be one hell of a shop lol good idea though...... Ez!!!!! we need a shop!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata078 View Post
Congats Dawg on your College.

Looks Fun. Good to see both of you Rolling. Your Bros Car is not Lowered?
it is. he's got the skunk2 lowering springs with sport shocks. ride is nice, the drop is mild. now he's ready to switch to coilovers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHonda24 View Post
congrats on graduating! you have a degree in engineering right? do you have a job lined up?
Yeah mechanical engineering. I actually have 2 electives to take this summer so in the meantime i've got to get a job set up

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #44
mfcivic101
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoweb View Post
Yeah mechanical engineering. I actually have 2 electives to take this summer so in the meantime i've got to get a job set up
aren't engineers in demand now though?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #45
Pata078
Powered by my

Pata078 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoweb View Post
it is. he's got the skunk2 lowering springs with sport shocks. ride is nice, the drop is mild. now he's ready to switch to coilovers though.
Yea it does look Mild. That's good.
I'ma head you up for some Internal Mechanical Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris42192 View Post
im searching for a FO' DO' FO' MO' HOE'
Pata078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #46
kevoweb
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcivic101 View Post
aren't engineers in demand now though?
i believe so, plenty of jobs out there.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #47
mfcivic101
Regular User

cool.. oh by the way i've been looking at your project thread and i've noticed any updates in a while. not to rush you or anything.. just wondering how you were doing with that?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #48
kevoweb
Regular User

not a whole lot right now, but i'll be getting back into it in June, so stay tuned.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #49
kevoweb
Regular User

well i ran on the azenis this past weekend. I gotta say they have TONS of grip, especially compared to the AST's. It was a pretty rough weekend though. I messed up my rear brake shoe replacement and had a shop finish the job for me on friday. ok, off to a bad start, but i figure i'm good from there....

So i get to the test and tune session at 8am (mind you this place is an hour away from my apartment), and i start swapping tires and adjusting the coilovers ( needed more clearance for the azenis). I got to the rear and start breaking the lugs loose with my cheapo cigarette lighter impact wrench, but it's not budging the lugs. So....i bust out the old breaker bar and start cranking on one of the lugs and then SNAP. the lug was in my hand along with the stud. AWESOME! the retards at the shop had over torqued or crossthreaded my lugs. So i had to drive a have and hour to the nearest town (with three lugs on my driver side rear wheel) and buy a new stud and lugs and have them installed.

I got back in time to finish the morning session which was awesome. The azenis are really awesome, lots of grip. So much, that I was not running as fast as usual because i'm used to the car rotating due to the lack of grip on the Kumho's. In the afternoon it was raining pretty hard, but even still the azenis had tons of grip surprisingly.

So on Sunday i returned to the same site for the actual event and as soon as i got there and opened the trunk i wanted to smack myself. I forgot not one....but BOTH wheel lock keys and I couldn't swap back to the Azenis to race on. So I had to run the Kumhos. I gotta say i was much more comfortable on them because i'm still used to the lack of grip. i was practically drifting the faster corners. I ended up taking first in my class though! so i had a frustrating, but also fun weekend of racing.

I'll post up some pics on Sunday's event when i can. And one of these days i'll post up some pics of Azenis on the car when i get around to putting them on again.

Last edited by kevoweb; 07-23-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #50
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

that is an interesting weekend...

sucks to hear about the trouble with the lug stud. i have been there.

congrats on first place though! sounds like you are gettin pretty good, or at least comfortable with how things go. Have you ever run on that course before or was it new to you?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #51
kevoweb
Regular User

thanks! i've been to that site before. but the courses change each event. Even still, i think by the point i know how the grip changes depending on what section of the runway i'm on. It's not perfectly flat so when you cross the runway the traction is a lot different. Also it changes from asphalt to concrete in another section which provides a lot more grip.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #52
kevoweb
Regular User

Well last week was the first time on the azenis in a competition and I was a little frustrated. I'm still learning the limits of these tires and so i'm still running about as quick as i was on the ASTs. It was a rough day though. We had two cars run into curbs. The site we were using had tons of gravel, so if a driver got off the line everyone else was running on, then you would spin out. I did it once mid parking lot, but a guy in a mustang and another in an exige were not so lucky. The mustang got the worst of it though, he broke the axle and caliper carrier on this rear passenger side wheel. They litterally took of his wheel still bolted to the hub, lol. Took an hour to get his car off the course.

Anyway, I'm still playing with the azenis and can tell in certain corners how much more grip these things have. I've been riding around on them for the last week to get more drive time on them and they feel much better. I had raised the front end to avoid rubbing at the event and i think the result was an uneasy feeling because the car was pitching more than usual. I've lowered it back to nearly the previous setting and i think i've stopped the rubbing issues. I'm feeling more confident on them now so i'm pumped for this weekend to run them again.

anyway heres some pics from last weekend

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #53
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

good thing you didn't mess up your car! i bet it is frustrating, b/c it probably feels like you are starting from scratch.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #54
Pata078