Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Maintenance & Detailing

Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Desertstorm
Regular User

Desertstorm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desertstorm
Default Jumping RPM.

Hey guys, it seems like the forum has been slow as of late. Anyway, I have a question. This kind of goes in line with an issue I've been having for awhile. This is more of a problem for me when I'm driving on the highway on the 4th or 5th gear. When I'm going at a pretty decent speed and if I don't keep my foot on the gas pedal, I notice a drop in speed and the engine feels like its choking--like starving on gas and start making popping noises. And I would have to press on the pedal a little harder and I would feel a "boost" and it will start going again. It will be fine as long as I don't let go of the gas and as soon as I let my foot off the gas, I start experiencing the sensation of my engine's "starvation". Now, I've been having this problem for awhile but recently, when I step on the gas like I always do, instead of feeling that "boost", the RPM would just jump up without any power and I wouldn't speed up. It feels like when I'm revving the engine at a stopped light. I know its kind of hard to explain but would you guys know what might be the problem? Is it the fuel-pump? Sensor of some sort? Or the clutch/gear box problem? Is it an easy fix? Any help would be nice. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

When was the last time you gave the car a tune up? Stuff like plugs and wires, that kind of thing? My Integra was doing something similar to that a while back, and new spark plugs fixed it. Is your check engine light on?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Desertstorm
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94accordex View Post
When was the last time you gave the car a tune up? Stuff like plugs and wires, that kind of thing? My Integra was doing something similar to that a while back, and new spark plugs fixed it. Is your check engine light on?
Oh yea, after doing what I described for a little while, the "check engine light" comes on. I have no idea how many miles I have on the engine. The guy I got it from said he did a "swap" with another F22 engine and he said it has close to 100,000 miles on it. But neither the odometer nor the speedometer are working so I have no way to tell.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
94accordex

That sounds like exactly what my car was doing. In that case, I'd definitely start with plugs and wires. They're cheap and easy to do, and even if that's not the problem it definitely won't hurt to change them out. After you install them, reset the ECU and then take the car for a drive and see if the problem persists or the check engine light comes back on.

If replacing the plugs and wires doesn't help, then I'd move on to the fuel filter and then the timing belt like Clyde suggested.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Desertstorm
Regular User

94AccordEX, I actually got a full tune up done just towards the end of the summer because I was experiencing the problem that I described. Changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, oil, etc. But the problem still persist. So I'm thinking it may not be the spark plug issue. It is very possible its a timing belt issue?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
94accordex

Yeah I'd probably look towards the timing belt then. Do you happen to know how long it's been since it's been changed?

Also, if you're showing a Check Engine Light then you might want to look into finding out what the code is.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
CivicRida
El ChiMex

CivicRida is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CivicRida

My standard solution with funny rpm's and the regulars here already know what I'm gonna say..........check the plug wires.

CivicRida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
clyde004

clyde004 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to clyde004

definitly a timing based issue....start witht he basic tune up, but be prepared to adjust timing...and my guess, if its not within the basic tuneup...it's time for a new timing belt...how many miles you runnin on? i'd have to go with Ez and Ben on this one....chk the plugs and wires first..then the fuel filter...then timing...after 150-200k on the OD those belts stretch and can slip time...

94 Accord EX ( my project in the works)

Mod of the month (as voted by members)- 11/07
clyde004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Desertstorm
Regular User

I don't think its the spark plugs. I just had a tuned up done to the car right near the summer. It was doing the same thing back then. I will check if it is the timing belt issue. How much will it run me to get a new timing belt? Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

If it is showing the check engine light, find out what it is. that will point you in the right direction.

To have the timing belt replaced would probably cost somewhere around $200-400 depending on where you go.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
clyde004

timing belt will be expensive if you have it done somewhere else...but out of curiosity, when they did the tneup did they replace the plug wires? most places dont.....did they replace cap and rotor? might wanna take it back to them if one of those things ends up being the issue....

Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
Desertstorm
Regular User

I will check the ECU code to see what it says. But no, they did not replace the spark plug wires when they did the tune-up. I did not get charge for the wires either so I will probably just pick a set from AutoZone and change it myself. I believe they did replace the cap and rotor--is that for the distributor? If so they I think they did.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
94accordex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
I will check the ECU code to see what it says. But no, they did not replace the spark plug wires when they did the tune-up. I did not get charge for the wires either so I will probably just pick a set from AutoZone and change it myself. I believe they did replace the cap and rotor--is that for the distributor? If so they I think they did.
Yeah that's a good idea. Plug wires are fairly cheap and they're easy to do, so you can't go wrong replacing them.

And yes, the cap and rotor go in the distributor.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
clyde004

be sure to let us know what fixes the problem...u may want to upgrade to larger wires as well since you're replacing them...but thats your choice as well. they arent much more expensive than your stock ones if you dont get performance or race wires....

Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

I think you'll need a new EGR sensor and i'm not sure about the electrical load error. do you run a lot of stereo equipment?

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
clyde004

take the egr off, clean it out with some carb cleaner...i would suggest soaking it in some seafoam anf taking a toothbrush to it...it's proabbly sticking, and that would def cause some idle problems.....i've had sticky egr issues before as well. try that, then move on to replacing the sensor if that doesnt do the trick....

Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #17
v-tecvillan428
Noob

v-tecvillan428 is on a distinguished road

hey man, if your stepping on the gas and the RPM's are jumping up but you arent gaining any speed.....its your clutch slipping. that could also have something to so with you bogging down at high speeds. yea you may need to sheck your plugs and wires but if your jumping RPM's with no acceleration its your clutch man! good luck
v-tecvillan428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #18
HaTtASaN
Regular User

HaTtASaN is on a distinguished road

Plugs and cables done! check your fuel supply system, from fuel pump to injectors, maybe you can find something wrong with the system. You also can try to do pressure test to your combustion chamber maybe there`s a small leaks contributes for the situation, just my ten cents.
HaTtASaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
Desertstorm
Regular User

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I finally got around to changing the EGR Valve today but I'm not sure if it solved the problem. I haven't gotten a chance to drive on the high way yet. From what my mechanic told me, my car stalls out around 2000 RPM if I don't keep revving it up. And he said it might be because of my distributor. We shall see if EGR Valve solves the problem. That is the ECU code I got.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
Desertstorm
Regular User

Well guys, I got the EGR put on but the problem still persist. My mechanic told me I should replace the distributor and see if it fixes it. This is so annoying! I've been asking everyone and anyone that I ran into and no one really knows what might be causing the problem. I hope this distributor fixes it. Any inputs???