Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Maintenance & Detailing

Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Desertstorm
Regular User

Desertstorm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desertstorm
Default Popping Noises

Hello all,

I have a 1990 Honda Accord. This is a problem that I've been experiencing for awhile but found a temproary solution to get around it--sort of. OK, here's what's wrong. When I'm going at a medium to fast speed on second or third gear and I have to slow down because of traffic and if I let my foot off the gas, my engine start making this weird "popping noises" and I can't accelerate anymore. The "check engine" light will also come on. I have to step on the gas real hard to go again. Now, if I step on the clutch every time I slow down and let my foot off the gas, this doesn't happen. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the problem? I wouldn't think you'd need to clutch every time you let your foot off the gas, unless you are braking. Am I right? I've had a tune-up recently and it didn't solve the problem. My friend said it might be because of the "MAP/MEP (?) Sensor"? Just a little more info, the guy I bought the car from did an engine swap with another F22A4 motor.
Desertstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

i'm not really sure, maybe if you can, check to see what code the ecu is throwing. that maybe difficult if it goes away after it stops poppng

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

it might be that something is wrong with you exhaust system. like you cat might be clogged up and is causing the back pressure to get all messed up. I have a 90 accord and it makings a popping noise when i let off the gas and slow down, but it is a manual so i can keep the rpms up and not have to mash the gas. my cat is definitely clogged up, but i don't feel like replacing it. so that might be something to look at.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Desertstorm
Regular User

Default Coil-Overs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHonda24 View Post
it might be that something is wrong with you exhaust system. like you cat might be clogged up and is causing the back pressure to get all messed up. I have a 90 accord and it makings a popping noise when i let off the gas and slow down, but it is a manual so i can keep the rpms up and not have to mash the gas. my cat is definitely clogged up, but i don't feel like replacing it. so that might be something to look at.
Thanks for the reply guys. Where or what exactly do I look for? It is very possible that its a problem with the cat. But I've gotten so used to pressing down on the clutch whenver I slow down and let off the gas. It seems to solve the problem. I haven't experienced it since I've been doing that. But just something I would like to get fixed, eventually....

Now I got a bigger problem at hand...this is off the topic...but I thought I would ask anyway. Today, I put on a bodykit on my accord--a R33 front with Black Widow side skirts and back--but because that car was dropped already, the bodykit made it ever lower. It's literally an inch off the ground in the front. I already scraped the bottom and made a hair-line crack during my drive home from the shop! So now I need to get coil-overs to raise the car a inch or so. Can anyone suggest me some decent coil-overs that would not cost me an arm and leg? Basically, something cheap but will get the work done for the time being until I could spend some money on the better ones. Any help would be appreciate it. Thanks!
Desertstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
hondadude141
Decaldude!!

hondadude141 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to hondadude141 Send a message via Yahoo to hondadude141

lol well..... ebay but you get what you pay for unless they are name brand, suck as Tokico(really good) but tokico is the best in my opinion
Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
VBRacer
Regular User

VBRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to VBRacer Send a message via MSN to VBRacer Send a message via Yahoo to VBRacer

a good set of adj. coilovers will probably run you $200-300. i'd look into some springs that don't have as low of a drop on them, like some eibach's or somethin.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Desertstorm
Regular User

I will go check out a local shop tomorrow and see what they have to offer. I think my budget right now is about $150 or so. I don't know if I can do much with that because I need to get them installed and that will cost me. And I need to get my exhaust pipe bent to align with the opening on the bodykit also 'cause right now its being blocked. Ahhh...more money to spend...
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
jeffro

jeffro is on a distinguished road

You should be able to do the springs yourself, it's not that big a task. You said it was lowered already, how was it dropped? It could be real easy.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
I will go check out a local shop tomorrow and see what they have to offer. I think my budget right now is about $150 or so. I don't know if I can do much with that because I need to get them installed and that will cost me. And I need to get my exhaust pipe bent to align with the opening on the bodykit also 'cause right now its being blocked. Ahhh...more money to spend...
If you are at all mechanically inclined, and you have jackstands, a set of metric sockets, maybe a big breaker bar, and a place to work, you can install springs yourself. You'll also need a spring compressor, but you can rent that from an auto parts store, no need to buy one if you don't want to.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
kevoweb
Regular User

let me emphsize the need for a BIG Breaker part, especially on the rear lca's. other than that the install is cake. takes about 2 hours for front and rear if you've done it before, probably like 4 if it's your first time and you don't run into problems which never happens, lol.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94accordex View Post
If you are at all mechanically inclined, and you have jackstands, a set of metric sockets, maybe a big breaker bar, and a place to work, you can install springs yourself. You'll also need a spring compressor, but you can rent that from an auto parts store, no need to buy one if you don't want to.
Not sure how it was dropped before, I asked to see if he would need the spring compressors. With the coiloevers, I no longer need that tool to work on my suspension.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Desertstorm
Regular User

Thanks for the inputs, guys. I'm all for doing it myself but I have no experience with it and I have no tools nor a good jack stand to work with. I know I should get myself a set of tools in the future but for now, I will have to rely on my mechanic. Oh, the car was dropped about using lowering springs btw.

Anyway, I found these Megan Racing Coil-overs on E-bay for relatively cheap. Its within my price range for now. Does anyone know if they are any good? Have you had an experience with them? They would work on my Accord, right? If not, can anyone suggest any coil-overs for around $100-150 range and where I can get them? Suggestions..?

Megan Racing Coil-Over System: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...139678843&rd=1
Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

I've never heard anything, good or bad, about Megan springs or coilovers. I'm running a Megan header on my car right now though, and I'm fairly impressed with it. I assume the springs would probably be alright, but like I said, I don't know for sure.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
kevoweb
Regular User

yea Megan makes some decent mid range parts for the most part, i don't hear too many comlaints. Just be careful with eBay, make sure it's real Megan and not "Megan style"

Old 08-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
jeffro

Are your springs compressed or do they get loose when you raise the car? If they are loose you don't need a compressor. I got a kick ass low profile jack from wal-mart for 29 bucks and 2 stands for 11. You really need to dig into that yourself if you can, it's the only way to learn. You could probably get the tools you need for the price they are gonna charge you in labor. We could talk you through it.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
kevoweb
Regular User

yeah i've never used a spring compressor the 3 times i've changed springs on mine and my brother's cars

Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #17
VBRacer
Regular User

Send a message via AIM to VBRacer Send a message via MSN to VBRacer Send a message via Yahoo to VBRacer

i needed one to take off the factory springs but not to install the coilovers onto the struts. but if its already lowered, the springs are shorter, so you may not need one.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
hondadude141
Decaldude!!

i haven't ever used one when i changed mine out a year ago, you just have to watch what you are doing, my friend did it and the spring flew out and cut about a 1/4in of his finger clean off....
Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
VBRacer
Regular User

i did mine when i worked at a service dept. and used the wall mount kind that have a sort of cage around them, so it wasn't possible for it to fly out. my uncle does have one of the hand spring compressors though and i have heard horror stories.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
hondadude141
Decaldude!!

yea, the guy that cut his finger off used on and it broke