Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Honda

Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb
Default looking for some opinions

Ok so i'm trying to decide the future of my car while i continue to save money for a while. The choices i've come up with are as follows:

a) keep the car and have the dents pulled, rust repaired and repainted. I'm figuring that will be around $3,000 if not more assuming the work was done right.

b) keep the car and say eff the rust let's make it fast and beat the hell out of it for a few years! turbo, nitrous, supercharger?

c)sell the car and purchase a newer/rust free car

d)keep it as a daily driver find a new project

Feel free to add options. Like i said, i'm just looking to see what you all would do in this situation. Right now getting a new car or having this one brought up to my standards is looking like the most expensive option. I seem to go back and forth daily as to how much more i want to invest into this vehicle. Some days i'm ready to sell for a rust free body and others people tell me "you're going to sell it after putting so much into you're conversion?" and then i decide to keep it. I love it to death and is a lot of fun to drive, but i don't know if repairing the body work is financially a good idea.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

Exactly how bad are your rust problems? From the pictures I've seen it's not horribly noticeable, but then again I could be wrong.

Anyways, the problem that I see with investing all that money into repairing it or buying a rust free chassis is the simple fact that you could drop a ton of money into it and then be dealing with it again a few years down the road. Unless you're planning on moving somewhere down south in the near future or only driving the car during the summer and then keeping it garaged during the winter (which would most likely involve spending more money on another car for a daily) I'm not sure how wise it would be to dump a ton of money into trying to maintain a rust free 10+ year old car in the Midwest.

My car was pretty much rust free when I bought it last summer, but there's a tiny bit starting to show on the quarters. I'll tell you what though, keeping it washed and waxed real well seems to help slow the rust. I kinda quit caring about the Accord I used to have and didn't frequent the car wash much over the winter and the rust got noticeably worse.

Anyways, my point is, if it was me I'd probably say screw fixing the rust, and just try to keep it clean and as under control as possible, and then work on a turbo setup or nitrous project. You have dumped a lot of time and money into the tranny conversion, so I think it would be kind of a shame not to take it any further.

Think of it this way: go ahead and install turbo/supercharger/nitrous on this car, learn a lot, have fun with it for a year or so, and then maybe you'll be at the point with college done and career and everything where you can afford to have a designated daily driver, a rust free chassis project car, and a garage to keep it in. That's kinda what I'm going for, just have fun with my current car, learn as much as I can, and hopefully within a year or so I'll be in the financial position to start a new project that I don't have to drive daily.

That's just my 2 cents.

Edit: Thought of one more thing. You were saying something in a different post about not wanting to invest in a set of rims until the rust and paint are taken care of. You could always watch the classifieds for a good deal on a used set of rims or even a used set of stock wheels, like LS meshies or GSR blades or 99-00 Si wheels. That's kinda what I'm doing...I'm not sure I want to drop $800-$1000 on a brand new set of wheels and tires for a 10 year old car that has some dents and dings. Just a thought.

Last edited by 94accordex; 06-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.
94accordex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
kevoweb
Regular User

that's true. the worst of the rust is on the passenger side quarter panel. i don't have it in my pictures, but it's pretty bad. I am going to be done with school in a year so i may just play with it a little more then get a new car once i'm working fulltime. really that is the most feasible option. When i bought the car it was nearly mint except for a hint of rust in the passenger side quarter. I used to wax it like every 3-6 months, but after the rust started getting bad this past year i've kind of been too depressed to wax it and wash it a lot. lol.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
CivicRida
El ChiMex

CivicRida is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CivicRida

Yeah man just wait to finish up school. Once you know how much money you'll have rolling in then you can start to weigh your options better. I know it's hard to be patient sometimes especially when it cames to cars.

CivicRida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
jjmajed

Delete

Last edited by jjmajed; 08-19-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
jeffro

jeffro is on a distinguished road

I would sell it and get a Del Sol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell ya, I have not had my car for very long but even after putting in as much love and money as I have I couldn't even think of selling it. I have actually had a few offers but even if I did sell it, I would just turn right around and get another Del Sol. It would take some pretty serious damage for me to part with it. I guess I would try and do some of the body repair myself(save some money)and get some fresh paint.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

well in my opinion, i don't think putting a bunch of money into making the body look good will be worth it. like you said its gonna be $3000 or so to get it fixed and after that your gonna be spending more money to keep modifying it. so i would say option A is out.

I like option B. go get a budget turbo system or something along those lines and make it a fun car to drive. you can always resell the parts when you are ready to get a new car or just sell the car as is.

As for option C.... you can get another car, but then you are starting from stratch. I would take this option only if you can swap out parts from the current car to the new one and save some money on the mods.

I kinda like option D as well. keep the civic as the reliable DD and find a dirt cheap car to spend some money on.

Every option is gonna cost a good amount of money, but like you said A and C are gonna cost the most.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
kevoweb
Regular User

yeah. the more i think about it. the most sensible option right now is just to finish up school and mess around a little with what i've got. i've been trying to decide what power adder i want to get with a budget of around $1000. I want to go turbo, but that's going to be a tad more expensive and probably the least reliable. and lately i've been considering a nitrous setup. thanks guys for the opinions!