Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 05-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
92eg9
Noob

92eg9 is on a distinguished road
Default B series or K series and why

i just got a 1990 honda civic hatchback FOR CHEAP. so im thinking of keeping my eg8 like i have it and put all the money and effort on the ef8. i really want to make this one a full build, something mild but DONE RIGHT. i already decided how to go about everything else except for the engine. im still stuck on the b series, but im hearing that k series is the way to go ( i definitely wont go v-6 on this) but the way i see it, is that i can do the b-series and THEN SOME for the same price of the k series, which will probably be just the engine and the mount for around $6000. what you think?
92eg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Pata078
Powered by my

Pata078 will become famous soon enough

Whoever told you K is the way to go should be shot. $6 g's for the swap? Are you sh!ttin me? That's nuts!

You could do a simple B16a swap for less then half of that. I would go with a GSR swap myself for a fraction of that cost even.

Come on Son. This is simple

Let's see some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris42192 View Post
im searching for a FO' DO' FO' MO' HOE'
Pata078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
92eg9
Noob

92eg9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata078 View Post
Whoever told you K is the way to go should be shot. $6 g's for the swap? Are you sh!ttin me? That's nuts!

You could do a simple B16a swap for less then half of that. I would go with a GSR swap myself for a fraction of that cost even.

Come on Son. This is simple

Let's see some pics.

thats what im thinking, and i was thinking b18 as well.
92eg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Pata078
Powered by my

wait till you hear Joecivic's opinion lol

Quote:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

It kind of depends on which K engine you want to go with. If you're talking about a top of the line RSX or Civic Si engine, then yeah, you're gonna pay out the butt for it. You can find other K-series engines for pretty cheap though, like the K24 that came in the Accords and CR-Vs. They're not quite as good as the RSX or Si versions, but they're still a very decent swap for a small, lightweight Civic. That motor makes about 165ish horses and around the same for torque, plus you'd have the option to upgrade to an RSX or Si head later.

On the flipside though, yeah, you could do a B-series for cheaper then any K-series and then put some money into building it up.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Pata078
Powered by my

of course it does ^^^

let's do some math here shall we?

How much these swaps?

I know for your ef, if you put a B18c1, they will charge around $3,600 to do the complete swap.

Don't know off hand how much for a K swap since they got to extent your front clip?

Quote:
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

Quote:
Don't know off hand how much for a K swap since they got to extent your front clip?
Do they? I hadn't heard anything about that. I thought it was a bolt-in with the right mounts. I know that the engines have to sit "backwards" in the older car's bays though since they spin in the opposite direction from the older engines...
Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
joecivic
O.G

joecivic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to joecivic Send a message via MSN to joecivic Send a message via Yahoo to joecivic

Quote:
wait till you hear Joecivic's opinion lol
haha. I SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!

hmmm. your price may vary on K swaps though. if you can do it yourself, you can look at 4-5K total. also dependin on your sources you find parts from. id go to k20a.org. they have alot of helpful info, and a thread on what parts you need for the swap.

you can get a nice k24a2 which will have the same VTEC as a k20a2, k20z1, k20z3, or k20a, for $2000-2500, sometimes $3000. but the k24a2 has 200hp 166tq, 6spd. its a nice torquey motor from the Acura TSX. i wish i went this route. k20a2's usually go $3000-3500. but if you look around k20a.org, you will find some good prices around. sometimes for less than that. you can buy a k24a4, or a8, or a1 bottom end around $500-900. then buy a k20a2, or whatever good k20 Vtec head, which i think ive seen around $1000. i forget. i havent looked lately, and then get a 6-spd transmission. mounts are like $550. DC swap header is like $250-300 (i cant check, my other tab thats open is loading forever) and stage 0 axles, which i still use, are $299. then its all little stuff from there. like hoses, bolts, fluid, etc. oh, almost forgot. the wiring harness too.

i will tell you this. my car with a k20a2, and intake and header on my stock exhaust, vs another ej8 coupe with a b18c1 swap (GSR), and intake, header, exhaust, and type-r cams.........i still won out of all 3 races.

now another race: a k20a2 is rated at 200hp 142tq. the h22 is 200hp 166-ish torque. my car is a 2000 which is the 6th gen, and the guy with an h22 had a 93 coupe, the 5th gen, which is a little lighter (not sure if it would make much a difference though). he had full bolt ons, i/h/e, and i still pulled him. i dont know how exactly, but there was another h22 5th gen i raced that i won against too. maybe the gearing really made a difference. im no expert about knowing how motors work and all though.

nothing wrong with b-series though. you cant go wrong with them. i almost got a GSR motor when i was shopping for a new motor. its all up to whatever you like, or you're looking for out of it. K's are real nice all motor though, and the stock block is capable of 600+hp when boosted. id still upgrade the block to be safe though. or you could go for the type-R b18C or USDM version B18C5 both with 195hp and still beat those cocky supercharged cobalt SS drivers. lol. those are the two B's id go for. the type-r or GSR. whatever floats your boat man.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
joecivic
O.G

joecivic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to joecivic Send a message via MSN to joecivic Send a message via Yahoo to joecivic

and no, you dont need to extend anything. its a straight drop-in with the mounts. you will have to cut one of the stock brackets i think, but thats really nothing. then you could just bolt whatever mounts you bought, and drop the motor right in. if you ever did go this route, id say get EKK2 mounts. they sit the motor back a little bit more, and gives the intake manifold a little more room if you have a full size radiator to fit between the manifold and the front of the frame. also, your oil pan wont be as low as mine, with the EKK1 mounts.

but heres how a k24a2 accelerates with i/h/e and tuned on Kpro. and i know its KMs, but i think hes going faster than what he says. that needle goes too far to be the speeds he says he is going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klwOUNb7kSg

Last edited by joecivic; 05-19-2010 at 04:56 PM.
joecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Pata078