Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Maintenance & Detailing

Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
noobaccord98
Jr Member

noobaccord98 is on a distinguished road
Default d16y8 block

I have a silver ex civic 2000 all stock 5spd d16y8 block and head. finding out the hard way my car had a leak coming from underneath the engine but never had puddles underneath the car because the oil would just burn away when it hits the catylitic converter. i havnt done anything yet but im already assuming that the block is done for (couldnt even start my car anymore) when i finally did you could just hear the banging and the knocking coming from my engine. top parts are still in good condition all i need is to replace the block. i cant afford an upgrade to a dohc i just need a y8 block. what are my options, should i go to a junk yard and hope for the best, if so what would i need to do in order to make sure that the block il buy is in good condition. would i take that block to a machine shop like JIS and have them test it and like they would a head? what are the prices of a block from a junk yard, craiglist, ebay etc..? this is my daily driver the car beautiful i mean everything works just that damn block, help meeee,
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Pata078