Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Maintenance & Detailing

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
bskibeat
Regular User

bskibeat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question engine bogs/sputters at high RPM! Need help!

Hello everyone,

Ok, here is the problem. I think you guys can help.

I have a "AEM" type air intake on the 1999 Civic DX
Profile:
http://www.hondashowoff.com/profile.php?id=6461

Every once and awhile when I try to slam down the gas pedal(rev high RPM), it will hesitate, feel bogged down, and sort of sputter.

When I'm idle at a light I can feel a gentle 'hiccup" in the car. Just a couple time though.

I THINK it has something to do with moister getting in the intake manifold. You see, when I first bought the car(Oct 199, I ran over a curb, and ripped the plastic guard that fits underneath to protect the engine bay. So now you can see the road when looking down in the engine bay.

I thought this intake was high enough up that moister wouldn't be able to reach it. Seemed ok for years, then about a year ago I think I really got some water in there.

You see, I USED to have an ICEMAN intake. After the thing practically stalled, I decided to buy this one. Only did it bog down once in the rain, but yesterday with wet roads, and no rain, it seemed to start doing it again.

This morning it was fine! I gunned it on my way to work to test it, and was smooth as silk. Seems I can't duplicate the problem, even when it's raining it won't do it.

I'm wondering what to do? Also, how much moister is too much in the intake manifold? Would a mist effect it?

HELP!!!
bskibeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
v-tecvillan428
Noob

v-tecvillan428 is on a distinguished road

clutch is slipping my man, if ever you can slam the gas jump to high RPM's with much acceleration, your clutch is slipping
v-tecvillan428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Bfinch2002
Director

Bfinch2002 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Bfinch2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tecvillan428 View Post
clutch is slipping my man, if ever you can slam the gas jump to high RPM's with much acceleration, your clutch is slipping
i hate to tell you, but you're wrong. i take it you didnt even read his post.

anyway,since it only does it when it rains or the roads are wet, it sounds like u may have moisture getting onto the filter. or actually on your distributor cap. (i have first hand experience with both)
if there is a crack anywhere on the cap, the moisture will have a hay day on your car's ability to fire.

if u had water in your intake manifold it would most likely waterlogg your motor or atleast do it all the time. what i would do if i was you is, go to a junk yard and get the plastic inner fender well, take your filter off and using high powered air gun, blow your filter dry, then i would check the dizzy cap and replace it if there is even the slightest crack. that should fix your problem.

if not let us now. im sure the other regulars on here will also have some advice
Bfinch2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
hondadude141
Decaldude!!

hondadude141 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to hondadude141 Send a message via Yahoo to hondadude141

Well brandon took the words right out of my mouth, My best bet would be the filter, i've never had an after market cai but the other day when i washed my engine bay i left the filter in the box and it didn't get soaked but it got a little damp and i experienced the same thing you have, but instead of blowing it out with an airgun(really good idea) i just set it out in the sun to dry out. Its worth a shot, and the dizzy cap sounds like a possibility too.

~Matt~
Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
bskibeat
Regular User

bskibeat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seems all better now.

Thanks for the tips. Change Plugs/wires/dis cap and rotor. Smooth as silk again. Inside distributor, looked aweful, wet rusty moister goo built up on the bottom.

Also I had made a plastic barrier for the large filter using an old plastic kitty litter jug! Ha Ha! It's ugly, but will have to do for now.
bskibeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
HaTtASaN
Regular User

HaTtASaN is on a distinguished road

Well my man..distributor,plugs,plug cables, fuel filter and etc have been mentioned. I like to add one more thing, if your fuel filter have water inside it, better you give a looks at your fuel tank also, maybe water accumulate in it by leakage or from gas station. Most important is that kind of symptoms usually related with fuel supply and ignition system, nothing related with clutch slipping man..just my ten cents, gud luck!

本田一番!無限一番!
HaTtASaN is offline   Reply With Quote