Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Honda

Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
russ_01_01@yahoo.com
Noob

russ_01_01@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default Which one to buy?

Hello everyone. I am looking to buy my first Honda real soon. I am looking at getting an accord EX 94/95. My question is if there are any big differences between the two model years and any "red flags" I should look for when I go to buy. Thanks.
russ_01_01@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

94-95 should be pretty much identical. If I were you, I'd look for an EX model. They did release a V6 option for 95, but I'd stick with the four-cylinder personally. The V6s didn't have all that much more power than the four-cylinders, were only available in automatic, and have almost nothing as far as aftermarket support.

You can also consider the 96-97 Accord. It's the same chassis as the 94-95, same motors, with just a few minor exterior tweaks, like different grill, bumper, tail lights etc. It's just kind of personal preference as to looks when choosing between the two, because the cars are essentially the same as the 94-95 otherwise.

As far as things to look for, if the car has over 100,000 miles, ask if the timing belt and water pump have been changed (this should be done at 90k miles, and it will cost around five or six hundred if done by a dealer, three or four hundred if done elsewhere). Also check for bad cv boots/joints, rust on the rear quarter panels, and if the car has a power antennae, make sure that it extends and retracts like it should. I've owned two 94 EX sedans, and the antennae broke on both of them.

Any other questions about the 94-97 Accord, just let me know! Good luck on your search!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
russ_01_01@yahoo.com
Noob

russ_01_01@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the advice. I am really looking forward to getting the car. I love the quality that honda puts forth and the ease of working on them. A lot better than the GM car that I have now that is a pain in the a** just to do something as simple as changing the spark plugs or a thermostat. I will definately be going with the EX. A lot better than other models in extras plus the important part....VTEC. I like your accord btw...looked real nice...new owner definately got a good car.
russ_01_01@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
TheAccordWarrior
Regular User

TheAccordWarrior is on a distinguished road

Rust is evil, avoid it at all costs. I had my rust fixed, and it ran up a huge bill.
TheAccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote