Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Honda

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Lifes_simple
Regular User

Lifes_simple is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lifes_simple
Default guages

someone help me ! i took apart the gauge to see how i can make the background blue and when i put everything bac, all the meters are inaccurate including gas, and mph ! ahhh what should i do ?

Last edited by Lifes_simple; 01-05-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Lifes_simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

did you pull off the needles? if so i'm not sure how you're going to be able to fix that. when you say background, do you mean the gauge face or the background lighting?

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
MidnightCivic
Regular User

MidnightCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightCivic

You son screwed up....If you wanted the color change all you had to do is replace the bulbs in the back with blue leds i forget the # for the bulb size
MidnightCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Bfinch2002
Director

Bfinch2002 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Bfinch2002

yeah you need to get a new gauge cluster. i dont think that one is fixable
Bfinch2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
kevoweb
Regular User

yea if you pulled the needles off and they gauges aren't reading correctly, you're going to need a new cluster. not sure how much they go for 05' civics, but i don't think it's cheap.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Lifes_simple
Regular User

okay lets say i found a new cluster on ebay, but this one has three guages when mine has only 2. mine has a speedometer and temp/gas, i dont have an RPM guage. would i be able to connect the one off ebay? it has an RPM so i dnt know how this will work. =/
Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Bfinch2002
Director

yeah it shoudl work. post up the link to the auction. is your car a dx or lx?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
MidnightCivic
Regular User

MidnightCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightCivic

I don't get how you could of messed it up. I have an 01 civic and i taken my cluster off plenty of times and haven't broke a single thing.
MidnightCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
kevoweb
Regular User

yes, the cluster with the tach should plug in and work correctly. I actually did this on my car, but mine is a 95 so, i'm not 100%

Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
clyde004

clyde004 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to clyde004

all you can do for a breif and inacurate fix, is plug in the cluster leavinf the plastic cover off so u have access to the nedles. start the car with all the nedles off. have your car at known lvls....fill your gas task up place needle at its peak, let caar warm up for 15 minutes and place tmep needle where it would normally be, with the car running the mph needle should be just above its resting post and should respond immediatley to pressure on the gas peddle. wont be accurate but will be better than nothing for now.

94 Accord EX ( my project in the works)

Mod of the month (as voted by members)- 11/07
clyde004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
joecivic
O.G

joecivic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to joecivic Send a message via MSN to joecivic Send a message via Yahoo to joecivic

well, i had this problem when i first installed my s7 reverse gauges. and ended up getting a speeding ticket cuz it was so off. but all i did was go to this calibration place, and this guy kinda sits the car on this rolling thing kinda like a dyno and theres this thing monitoring your speed. so all he did was watch what the monitor said and made sure the needles read the same. he made it more accurate than a police radar would read, cuz he said theirs read a couple miles off. but uh yeah, i would do that first, i forget how much that cost, but i know it wasnt much.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
Bfinch2002
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecivic View Post
well, i had this problem when i first installed my s7 reverse gauges. and ended up getting a speeding ticket cuz it was so off. but all i did was go to this calibration place, and this guy kinda sits the car on this rolling thing kinda like a dyno and theres this thing monitoring your speed. so all he did was watch what the monitor said and made sure the needles read the same. he made it more accurate than a police radar would read, cuz he said theirs read a couple miles off. but uh yeah, i would do that first, i forget how much that cost, but i know it wasnt much.

that works if you put bigger or smaller tires on. but it will not help this guy cause all his gauges are off.

so did you but overlays? or take the cluster apart to change bulbs? did you pull the needles off? we need more specifics as to what you did
Old 01-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Lifes_simple
Regular User

okay, first i removes the guage, then i removed the white part that in the back,then i removed the needled to remove the chip, then i removed the chip itself, and saw the back of my face plates or gauge and when i found out that it wasnt possible to change the color due to the tinted orange glass, i put everything back. so far i fixed the temp guage and speed guage as close as i can. the only thing left is the gas guage.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
Bfinch2002
Director

Wow!! Just Wow
Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

yeah, next time dont take off the needles
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #16
kevoweb
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHonda24 View Post
yeah, next time dont take off the needles
x2

but hey i guess you gotta learn one way or another..

Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #17
joecivic
O.G

Send a message via AIM to joecivic Send a message via MSN to joecivic Send a message via Yahoo to joecivic
Wink

well at the moment, i didnt have anything done to my car. i had first started doing things to it. so all i had was that new gauge and headlights.

what i did wrong was pretty much the same. first i took the whole cluster out, took the clear plastic cover off, then this black piece, and then the bezel behind that which is right on top of the gauges. the orignal gauges which are black for my car are screwed in place. i unscrewed those so when i place my new ones on top, i can screw those ones in. then i took off all the needles (totally wrong) i couldnt figure out how i could get the new ones over them, so thats why i took the needles off). then reconnected everything as it was.

lala lala la, few days into the future. RIGHT AFTER seeing my probation officer (she was sooo hott too) and finishing community service for a wreckless speeding ticket, i get pulled over. my speedometer said 30 something, where the cop clocked me at like 58. it shoulda been obvious to me the speed i was going. all i could say is that i know i was over the limit. which was 25. another wreckless speeding ticket, that woulda been (yoda) lol. so i had to go to court, and first the officer tells me i could get my cluster calibrated so i did that before court. and when i went to get that calibrated, the guy let me sit in the car as he did it (as the cluster was taken apart for him to move the needles into place as he watched what speed it said on the clock. he made sure they were correct every 5 miles or so just to be sure.

but yeah, nothing done to wheel size. i mean, everyone elses idea works. this is just another idea from me.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
joecivic
O.G

oh yeah also, when i was screwing the new gauges over top of the original black ones, i moved the black ones on accident, so i had to place them as even as i could back into place

the gas and oil temp gauge. i dont think when i took the needles off, that it affected anything. and my rpms seemed ok too. VTEC kicks in about right. so i guess its fine. (but you dont have to worry about rpm's cuz you dont have that gauge i guess

Last edited by joecivic; 01-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
joecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #19
Lifes_simple
Regular User

cool thanx to everything that helped me out here. i fixed my MPH juss about right and if not, then ill just go the same speed as everone else is going -_- unless there speeding too... also my temp guage is right. only thing is my gas which is 80% right, i just fill up earlier now so this whole thing will do until i get a new one =) thanks everyone