Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Car Talk > Honda

Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
SteveOmatic
Noob

SteveOmatic is on a distinguished road
Default Trading away my 98 accord EX-L V6

But I donít know what to get instead.

I like my accord a lot but it's A/T. I wish I could get the same car in M/T but they don't make it (in v6) because it would be competing with the prelude I heard?

Anyways... what should I get?

My car has a little less then 120 miles. It's in good shape and I have a new sound system, intake and tints on it. I figure I can get like almost $7k for it.

I want to pay like $6-$8k for my next car, I don't want it to be older then 98', it has to have under 90k miles, and it has to be M/T. And I plan on doing a good amount of mods to whatever I wind up getting.

I have the money all saved up I just want to make sure I make the right choice. I was looking at...
98 Integra GSR
98 Civic Si
98 Prelude
98 Accord v4

What would you go for if you had like $2/$3k to use for mods? I like power and a little bit of looks.
SteveOmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
VBRacer
Regular User

VBRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to VBRacer Send a message via MSN to VBRacer Send a message via Yahoo to VBRacer

newer then 98?, i think your best and possibly your only bet, if you stick w/ honda, will be a Civic.

I'm not aware of a usdm 98 civic si.
GSR would def. be nice if you can find a nice one w/ low enough miles.
Prelude is nice, again, good luck finding a nice, well taken care of one, w/ low enough miles, also, i think that prelude's have a limit on easy possibilities.
and 98 accord I4, not v4. imo, i wouldn't recomend. too much weight, kind of gutless if you ask me.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

i would go with the prelude or gsr. for the prelude i would sleeve it and boost it. for the gsr i would make it a n/a beast.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
clyde004

clyde004 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to clyde004

yeah the 98Accord 4 is a beast with noe belly bro.....hate to say it, but the power lossin motor size will drive u nuts.
i'd say shoot for a lude....but the mileage goal will be hard to hit with that......
outof curiosity....why newer than 98?

94 Accord EX ( my project in the works)

Mod of the month (as voted by members)- 11/07
clyde004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

for $6-$8k, i'd say the prelude is going to be your best bet. the civic si or the gsr would be my first choice, but they typically go around $9-10k. which is rediculous, but they seem to have really high resale values, especially 5spd with under 90k.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
TheAccordWarrior
Regular User

TheAccordWarrior is on a distinguished road

A GSR and a Prelude are within a 10th of each other in the quarter mile in stock form, with the Si trailing behind.

The Prelude SH was rated by Car and Driver to be the best handling car under 30K in its day. Be aware though that it'd be hard to find a SH for your price range, and the ATTS can't support power over the 250 whp range.

The H22 can make power, but the components needed to make the power can be quite pricey. For example, the SMSP header will give you 19 whp (dyno proven), but it retails at $900.

I'm honestly more partial to the GSR, just because it's a fun/nimble little car with mountains of parts for it.
TheAccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
jjmajed

Delete

Last edited by jjmajed; 08-19-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
SteveOmatic
Noob

SteveOmatic is on a distinguished road

I think I'm going to get a gsr if I can find a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRacer View Post
newer then 98?, i think your best and possibly your only bet, if you stick w/ honda, will be a Civic.
What else should I consider besides a honda? Honda is the only car I kinda know hah - doesn't everything else break with high miles?
SteveOmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOmatic View Post
I think I'm going to get a gsr if I can find a good one.

What else should I consider besides a honda? Honda is the only car I kinda know hah - doesn't everything else break with high miles?
Well not necessarily...Hondas aren't magical, they break down just like other cars. The overall quality of Honda cars seems to be pretty high though. If you take care of them and do the maintenance they'll last a long time. That doesn't mean that you can't find a different kind of used car that's decent quality though. You could always go for a Celica, or Nissan 240, or a Miata perhaps? Hell, even a Neon could be a decent car if it's been taken car of.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
VBRacer
Regular User

VBRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to VBRacer Send a message via MSN to VBRacer Send a message via Yahoo to VBRacer

wait...honda's arn't magical? lol

my previous vehical was a 1982 F150 and it had 303k miles on it when the main and rod bearings went out. So it just depends on how well you treat the vehical, plus you just have to figure in that sometimes freak things just happen.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
kevoweb
Regular User

kevoweb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kevoweb

I do think the build quality on Hondas is better than Amercian manufacturers. You can easily see this in the resale value on Hondas, they are always higher.

"Redline first gear, and then pop the clutch three times. Let your toe lift, then slam it into reverse.VTEC every time...."

1995 Honda Civic DX - sold
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - teh daily

kevoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
Joey GT-R
Regular User

Joey GT-R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Joey GT-R Send a message via MSN to Joey GT-R Send a message via Yahoo to Joey GT-R

I say the 98-02 Accord Coupes or the 98 and up Preludes. I'm kind of a hater when it comes to Civics and Integras so I would really like if you "kept it in the familiy" lol.
Joey GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote